Preventing DiseaseOct 31, 2023
It's tempting to blame "bad genes" for whatever goes wrong with our health. But the truth is, in most cases it's the way we live our lives day to day that determines what happens to our bodies - whether we stay "young for our age" or become burdened by this or that condition that slows us down and zaps our energy and zest for living.
In a study of more than 100 doctors who specialize in preventive medicine, here are the habits that they found to be the most beneficial and the most harmful to your health:
Most Beneficial Habits:
- Eat at least five total servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Eat fish at least twice a week
- Eat whole grains
- Eat a clove or more of garlic most days
- Eat organic, non-GMO foods
- Eat a small piece of dark chocolate on most days
- Get 20 to 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise on most days
- Take a daily multivitamin
- Do strength training two or three times a week
- Meditate or practice another stress-relief technique regularly
- Brush and floss regularly
- Have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly
Most Harmful Habits:
- Regularly eat foods (chips, crackers, fried foods) that contain trans fat (hydrogenated oils)
- Regularly eat canned soups, chips, and other processed foods high in sodium
- Drink at least one 12-ounce soda every day.
- Drink at least one 12-ounce diet soda every day.
- Eat white bread or white rice at most meals
- Smoke or chew tobacco regularly
- Drive without a seat belt
- Are socially isolated
- Live with uncontrolled stress
- Get less than seven hours of sleep a night
- Are 30 pounds overweight
Give yourself a point for each healthy habit in your life and subtract a point for those harmful habits. The goal is to live a life that will help keep you disease free.
Check out next week's blog to learn the 12 steps to total prevention.
Remember to...Take Care of You!
Do you struggle with consuming too much sugar?
Would you like to end that struggle?
Take the 2-minute Sugar Struggle Quiz to find out if you are addicted to sugar.
Along with your results, I will provide ways that you can end your sugar struggle, as well as 20 of the best sugar-free foods and recipes that I have found that won't have you missing addictive sugar at all.
Click the button below to take the Sugar Struggle Quiz: